Thursday, December 9, 2010

Adding a Social Layer to the Google Experience

Not too long ago, I watched an interview in which Google’s current CEO, Eric Schmidt, stated that Google would be adding a “social layer” to the Google repertoire of services. When he said that, I thought to myself: “I hope that they don’t try to resurrect GoogleBuzz or Orkut”.

As you may know, the aforementioned services were Google’s lacklustre forays into the social networking arena. And, it is very likely that the said ‘social layer’ would be a conflation of those epitomes of evil. Such a Frankenstein monster would detract from the utility of Google’s services; it would be antithetical to Google’s stated bohemian mission (to not do any evil deed).

***

…Social Features that Google should consider

In my opinion, the ‘social layer’ that Eric mentioned should assume the following form:

1. A vertical search option: Recently, I was looking for a method for valuing the (cashflow-generating) software of a tech start-up, so I keyed my search into Google’s search engine and got few relevant results. I tried to modify my search query, but that was a Sisyphean effort. And after a few more tries, I wished if Google’s search engine would just ask me to phrase the query as a question; which it would automatically pose to my Linkedin contacts (via the Linkedin Answers facility), or to my Twitter or Facebook connections (via a status update with the question). This vertical search option would complement Google’s horizontal search capabilities, and this would increase the utility of Google’s search engine.

2. An autopilot-StumbleUpon-type facility: There are times when I just want to browse the web aimlessly, looking for nothing in particular. And I wish if Google’s products could help me to do so. I use the Gmail service and Google’s search and blogging products religiously, and it is within Google’s capabilities to create an astute algorithm that uses my browsing and search history (and my recent emails and blog posts) to ‘StumbleUpon’ web content that I would find interesting. They could add a button or command (like pressing ‘Ctrl+1’) in the Chrome browser that enables me to activate the proposed feature at will. Succinctly: I would like the Chrome browser to have clairvoyant-like capabilities that enable me to find entertaining web content that I wouldn’t otherwise access. Google should also make it easy to share the content on Twitter or Linkedin through the use of simple commands (like ‘Ctrl+T’ for Twitter and ‘Ctrl+L’ for Linkedin).

Evidently, my version of the ‘social layer’ is less sexy than anything that Google can conjure-up. But as Facebook has demonstrated time and time again: simplicity enhances the user experience. Instead of trying to thwart Facebook and its social networking cohorts, Google should be working with them to bring a social feel to the Google gamut of services!